- Programs / Activities
- Contact Us
CHILD ABUSE TRAINING
MT. VERNON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
POSITIVE STEPS TAKEN TO MAKE OUR CHURCH A SAFE PLACE FOR ALL CHILDREN
1. All volunteers working with the youth of this church will be a participating part of this congregation for a minimum of 6 months.
2. All volunteers will attend a “Reducing the Risk” training to be offered by
the Personnel Committee where the Sexual Conduct Policy will be read
and explained. All will be asked to abide by the policy and sign a copy of
the document along with our Covenant Statement.
3. Using a team approach, the two adult rule will be followed. All church activities involving the youth of this church including the nursery and Sunday school classes will have two adult supervisors present. One of these should be an adult of at least 21 years of age.
4. Parental permission will be obtained when legitimate reasons occur to meet one on one with a child.
5. Unless classroom and office doors have a window in them, they will remain open during any time when children are present.
6. A policy manual will be on file in the church office with the following information covered:
a. Reporting obligations
b. Response plan
c. State compliance
7. Parental permission will be obtained for church activities involving overnights, lock-ins, trips and/or retreats.
8. An annual review of the prevention program will be submitted by the Personnel Committee to the Session.
9. We will continue to educate ourselves as a community of faith about the problem of child sexual abuse, realizing that compassionate support and ministry is necessary to the adult survivors of child sexual abuse.
10. We will abide by the policy set forth by the church for the transportation of minors.
11. Anyone who has a prior criminal record involving youth will not work with the youth at this church.
12. For any further clarification of our policies, please direct your inquires to the Personnel Committee.